To facilitate continuation of the Task Forces for the 18th International Congress in Japan, open luncheon meetings will be held after the Task Force reports for any and all interested persons.
The “Objectives” and respective Task Forces are:
Assisting and encouraging the establishment of internationally agreed standards and methods of assessment and documentation that will permit comparison of results of different methods of treatment worldwide.
1. HOLISTIC OUTCOMES – This Task Force will consist of individuals who have experience with developing and/or validating holistic outcome measures for cleft care. The objective of this Task Force will be to make recommendations for holistic outcome measures for cleft care that are independent of specific culture.
Chair: Hillary Broder
2. SPEECH ASSESSMENT – This Task Force will consist of individuals who have experience with developing and/or validating speech assessments, specifically focusing on velopharyngeal function, that are independent of language. The objective of this Task Force will be to continue the development and expand the application of internationally applicable standardized “cleft” speech evaluation.
Chair: David Fitzsimons
Facilitating the establishment of multi-center trials and research projects.
3. PALATOPLASTY IN THE SPEAKING INDIVIDUAL WITH UNREPAIRED CLEFT PALATE – This Task Force will consist of surgeons and speech pathologists/therapists who have experience with surgical repair of cleft palate in speaking individuals. The objective of this Task Force will be to define the benefits and limitations of palatoplasty, without or with synchronous velopharyngeal management, in the speaking individual with an unrepaired cleft palate.
Chair: Brian Sommerlad
4. SPEECH THERAPY WITHOUT SPEECH THERAPISTS – This Task Force will consist of speech pathologists/therapists who have experience with establishing speech therapy programs for individuals with cleft palate in localities where no, or very few, trained speech pathologists/therapists are present. The objective of this Task Force will be to provide suggestions for development of cleft speech programs where there is an absence or paucity of trained speech pathologists/therapists.
Chair: Shankar Rai
5. BEYOND EUROCLEFT – This Task Force will consist of individuals from the European experience with cleft outcome studies (Scancleft, Eurocleft) and those who have initiated, or intend to initiate, similar studies in other geographic areas. The objective of this Task Force will be to make recommendations for initiation of local and/or participation in multi-national cleft outcome studies.
Chair: Gunvor Semb
Promotion and encouragement of multidisciplinary education and surgical support in areas of the world where cleft care is not yet comprehensive or universal.
6. TECHNOLOGY IN CLEFT CARE – created by Felicity